One of our Nest Team Goals this year is to develop a park plan that encourages and assesses physical skills.
These are the gross motor skills we decided to focus on:
- Practice kicking/throwing/catching
- Upper body strength (pull oneself up)
- Climb and descend well using alternating limbs
- Hopping/jumping
- Running and stopping
- Stay on a swing and make attempts at pumping
- Tag games, group games
Previously, I noticed that only a few children from the Rocks Class used the rope structure and many girls seemed unsure about climbing. My individual goal was to develop increasing confidence and competence in this area.
Over the last three weeks, I have asked every child to try climbing and I recorded data as they moved from needing physical help, to verbal coaching, to celebrating complete independence. We saw lots of novel techniques for climbing onto the ropes.
Over the last three weeks, I have asked every child to try climbing and I recorded data as they moved from needing physical help, to verbal coaching, to celebrating complete independence. We saw lots of novel techniques for climbing onto the ropes.
It has been a delight to watch, in the space of thirty minutes, a child attempt, practice, and master a new skill.
| "I have an idea. You can do it!" |
We see children learning new strategies from each other and encouraging their classmates.
| "Pull your leg up like a pretzel. I'm so proud of you." |
| "I did it!" |
In other areas of the park:
Ms Kadota is at the swings, challenging children to add or extend a skill in their swing repertoire thereby developing perseverance.
Ms McHugh is playing T-Ball, coaching the children on holding the bat with their dominant hand uppermost, and practicing hand-eye coordination in hitting the ball.
Ms McHugh is playing T-Ball, coaching the children on holding the bat with their dominant hand uppermost, and practicing hand-eye coordination in hitting the ball.
Ask your child to show you what they have learned at the park recently.