You may have heard your child tell you about the appearance of blocks in our classroom. Over the past couple of weeks they have met 3 kinds of blocks and experimented with them in many ways. Unit blocks are presented in the Rocks classrooms in an introductory way. Children are introduced to one block or one concept each day. Questions that we consider include:
- How do we compare sizes?
- What makes a structure safe, strong, and beautiful?
The unit block, a rectangular block, is the basis of the system that we use. The children have also met the square, two of them together equals a unit, and the double block, the equivalent of two unit blocks. We use the finger test to discern if our structure is strong.
| Working together to build a taller tower. |
As we practice building and unbuilding each day, students will understand that there is a beauty in careful building. They will understand the safest way to construct a structure, how to make it strong and see that the blocks can be used to make models of things they see in the real world.
Student Quotes:
I'm making a home for the three bears. JB
I can make something high with lots of doubles. WK
I'll tell you what it is when I'm done. CK
I'm building a train track. CP
It is strong. It stays strong. MS
Is my board covered? No, I need more blocks. AY
It's strong and I'm strong too. JZ
Thank you for taking time to attend our parents teacher conferences last week.