Thursday, April 21, 2016

Observational Painting

Spring is all around us, budding and blossoming -- and Rocks Class students have been capturing some of this through observational painting.  Observational painting begins with noticing:  What do we see? Is it tall or short, thick or thin? What shape does it make?

AT chooses to stipple tiny blossoms on top of the branches....

while CP places his alongside.


It continues with representing:  How can I show what I see?  What kind of brush will I use?  Which shades of paint match what I see?  Will I paint everything I see, or only part?  



In one rendition, JZ notices that there are spaces on
 a branch that have neither blossoms nor leaves...


and in a later one decides to emphasize profusion.

CK experiments with how to show "clear" by using water alone.



And though we all observe the same subject, we each "see" it in unique ways.


Andrew captures the branches' curves...
while Zoe emphasizes their thickness.




Julian works on representing leaves and well as stems and blossoms....




and Viviana is impressed with the length of the stems.


What will you "see" when you look at their paintings?